Monday, December 3, 2007

N - Deep Thoughts

Isn't it interesting how you often see something new in the Bible after reading the same passage a thousand times?

I often find myself in Mark 15 when I am pondering Christ's sacrifice.  I have read these verses many, many times but I noticed something new this Sunday.  Right before Jesus gave up his spirit, he cried out in a loud voice "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" (NLT)  These words have always rung loud in my conscious as a powerful example of Christ's humanity.  It is obvious that he truly felt separate from God.  He was completely alone.  I never realized though that at that moment when God had turned his back on him, Christ was actually quoting scripture (Ps 22:1).  Christ was God and he was carrying out God's plan for salvation.  It was a very "Godly" thing to say but at the same time very "human".  I think it is the perfect balance of Christ's divinity and humanity.

No comments: