Sunday, September 13, 2009

N - Chicago Vacation 9/7/2009

Happy Labor Day!

Our hotel is really nice. Our room is on the 16th floor and looks right down on North Michigan Avenue, the Magnificent Mile. We have a great view of the John Hancock Center out one side and if you look between the buildings we can see Lake Michigan out the other side. Here is a picture of Joel checking out the cars and horse drawn carriages below on Michigan Avenue. He had a great time jumping off the windowsill onto the bed.


This morning we drove to Lincoln Park. It is a beautiful park just off the lake and has a free zoo. I made my family proud by not only finding a parking spot on the street (read FREE!!) but I also squeezed the mini-van into a spot made for one of those SMART cars. I know you are impressed.


It was a great day to be outside, sunny and not too hot. The gardens in the park were really pretty. Here is a picture with the John Hancock Center in the background followed by a picture of Joel and Mary watching the polar bear.


Tomorrow Oprah Winfrey AKA the most powerful woman in the world is taping her 24th season opener a few blocks south of our hotel on a stage at Michigan Avenue just north of the Chicago River. They have the street blocked off from there nearly up to our hotel. I'm sure it will be a madhouse. Doubt we'll actually walk down there but I guess we can technically say we were there. If I get any crowd pictures I'll include those tomorrow. Here is a part of the stage with the Chicago Tribune building in the background.


Tonight we ate at Gino's East, my favorite Chicago-style pizzeria. Then we walked over to Navy Pier and had some ice cream. Here is a picture of the Chicago skyline.


Tomorrow we're off to the Museum of Science and Industry. I think we'll try to make it to the Chicago White Sox game tomorrow evening.

1 comment:

KT said...

Ah I'm so jealous! I miss my old stomping grounds. Travis and I were watching the Bears/Packers game last night and thinking of the time we all three went there. What a fun game! Hope you have a great time and eat some good food in Chi-Town! Say hi to my girls if you go in the Bloomies building!